[ Advertise your business on Media Source Africa ]
Finance & Funding
25th Jul 2017
Catapult Film Fund
CATAPULT FILM FUND provides development funding to documentary filmmakers who have a compelling story to tell, have secured access to their story and are ready to shoot and edit a piece for production fundraising purposes. Our mission is to enable filmmakers to develop their film projects to the next level at a stage where funding is hard to find. Catapult gives early support to propel projects forward that hold the promise of a unique story that should be told in film. We don’t require that films fit within specific issue categories. We support powerful stories and moving storytelling across a broad spectrum of issues and perspectives. As a result, we support of a range of films, from individual portraits to stories with global implications.
CATAPULT grants are up to $20,000 each. They allow filmmakers to take crucial next steps in the development of their films, such as enabling a first shoot and editing pieces for production fundraising. In addition to the initial development grant, recipients have access to an informal mentorship program with Catapult’s co-founders, Bonni Cohen and Lisa Kleiner Chanoff, in areas including story development, production process, fundraising and distribution strategy.
- WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR
- Creative, artful, compelling and innovative storytelling techniques
- Strong story narrative at the core of the film
- A unique perspective or approach; use of humor a plus
- Contemporary relevance
- Feasibility of the project with respect to its budget, financing, schedule and scope
- Demonstrated ability of the creative team to have implemented previous projects
- Grant amount should have significant impact on development stage of the project
- Emphasis on the story not the lesson or agenda of the filmmaker
- Filmmaker must demonstrate credible access and rapport with the proposed subject(s) of the story.
- Originality of form, approach or content
- Potential of the project to generate public discourse and social engagement
- Catapult Film Fund development grants range from $5000 to $20,000.
- Catapult accepts applicants who can arrange to have a US 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor.
- Catapult may contact the applicant with questions about the proposal.
- Grantees must submit two financial reports during the course of the grant period: an interim report, which will accompany a narrative report; and a final financial report to be submitted once the grant is complete.
- Grantees must submit at the end of the grant period an edited piece that can be used for production fundraising.
- Catapult Film Fund support must be acknowledged with a tag line and logo–of similar size and stature to other logos in the credits–at the end credits of the film as well as on all publicity and promotional materials relating to the production.
- Catapult will not return DVDs to applicants.
Application deadline: Rolling
Read the full article at Catapult Film Fund
Development funding, documentary funding, Catapult Film Fund, film grants